This Asian-inspired knife is a favorite with many good cooks. A knife of many talents, the santoku handles all the basic cutting tasks quickly and easily. With its shorter 5.5-inch blade, this santoku is exceptionally light and maneuverable. This size is perfect for any medium-sized kitchen task, from slicing carrots and shallots to mincing herbs to cutting chocolate. Hollow-ground indentations on the blade help food release from the blade more easily. If you prefer a smaller, lighter kitchen knife, you’ll just may make the new Shun Sora 5.5-in. Hollow-Ground Santoku your top go-to knife.
The Shun Sora 5.5-in. Hollow-Ground Santoku is part of the exciting Shun Sora line that provides exceptional handcrafted Shun quality at an amazing price. Sora uses Shun’s proprietary Composite Blade technology to bring together a VG10 san mai cutting edge with a Japanese 420J stainless steel upper. This technology puts high-performance material exactly where it’s needed—on the edge. The two blade sections are laser cut, then fit together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Braze welding permanently joins them. The attractive wavy pattern at the joint is based on traditional Japanese sword hamon lines. While Sora’s blade shapes and handle design are traditional Japanese, the textured PP/TPE polymer blend handle material provides a contemporary look, secure grip and balance, and is easy to maintain.
- The popular santoku in a slightly smaller size
- Hand-sharpened 16° double-bevel blade (32° comprehensive)
- Steel: Proprietary Composite Blade Technology; VG10 san mai cutting core; Japanese 420J blade upper
- VG10 is clad with one layer of stainless steel on each side to create the san mai edge and provide stain resistance
- Handle: Traditional Japanese handle design in easy-care, textured PP/TPE blend
- Blade length: 5.5 in. (14 cm)
- Handcrafted in Japan